What are Green Streets?
 Portland Green Street Program
- Reduce polluted stormwater entering Portland’s rivers and streams;
- Improve pedestrian and bicycle safety;
- Divert stormwater from the sewer system and reduce basement flooding, sewer backups and combined sewer overflows (CSOs) to the Willamette River;
- Reduce impervious surface so stormwater can infiltrate to recharge groundwater and surface water;
- Increase urban green space;
- Improve air quality and reduce air temperatures;
- Reduce demand on the city’s sewer collection system and the cost of constructing expensive pipe systems;
- Address requirements of federal and state regulations to protect public health and restore and protect watershed health; and
- Increase opportunities for industry professionals.