Home remedies for indigestion
A vast majority of the world population suffer from at least one bout with indigestion a year due to overeating and overindulgence in alcoholic beverages. Being one of the most common ailments, people spend huge amounts. Home remedy for indigestion is an effective and safe alternative treatment method.
 Why should I be aware of this?
As with many other minor health conditions, there are many highly effective home remedies for indigestion which will not require you to go for costly remedies. The home remedies also do not cause any undesired side effects. Apart from the causes of indigestion, we need to also get to grips with indigestion symptoms in order to clarify that this is actually the problem at hand and not something different altogether.
 What can I do about it?
- Mix a solution of 1 part baking soda, to 1 part water and consume immediately after preparation. This will help settle down the stomach acid.
- Squeeze the juice out of a lemon and add to a glass of warm water, give it a quick stir with a spoon and drink in one go.
- Cloves work wonders for indigestion as they contain properties which help the body secrete enzymes. Enzymes temper the stomach acid.
- Ajwain seeds, which have been in use in the Middle-East for centuries, are very effective indigestion cures. They are most effective when mixed with a pinch of rock salt.
- Another effective home remedy for indigestion is a cup of ginger tea with a slice of ginger cake.
 How to prevent indigestion
- Ensure you eat smaller meals as they are easier for the body to digest. Also chew properly. Avoid fatty or spicy foods as these can intensify the stomach acid
- Introduce more fiber into your diet. But at the same time avoid foods which contain large amounts of yeast, such as bread and pizza's as they hinder the digestion process
- Avoid chocolates as they contain oils which are not very beneficial to your stomach.
- It is easier to digest food when you are calm. So avoid stress.
- Try and sleep in an upright position as this will help keep your stomach nice and calm.
As indigestion is a common ailment we tend to indulge in self treatment with OTC medication for relief. But by doing self-treatment you are only treating the symptoms and not the cause. If you have chronic indigestion problems you really should discuss it with your physician. Treating the heartburn yourself will not solve the cause of it.
- Effective Home Remedies for Indigestion
- Indigestion Causes
- Why You Shouldn't Self-Treat Indigestion