The consistently rising gasoline prices are making people consider alternative stay-at-home vacations or staycations. With the cost of living being pushed up and threat of global warming looming large, people are reconsidering far-flung journeys to exotic locales and are spending time in their homes and at local attractions. Even as they reduce their carbon footprint, staycations are fast emerging as a form of responsible travel many are opting for. It is also an economical way of taking sustainable holidays.
A staycation, according to The New York Times, is "a neologism used by those who prefer to unravel the mysteries of the world from the comfort of their living room couches." Apart from saving a precious non-renewable resource like oil, staycations can also save money.
 Ways a staycation will save money
There are a number of ways that people save money during their staycations.
- Less gasoline
- No hotel expenses.
- No airfare or trainfare.
- Less eating out.
Incidentally, all these also improve physical and mental health. In fact, a staycation is a genuine way of relieving stress.
 Ways a staycation is more relaxing
A staycation can be more relaxing than any other form of vacation - provided it is done with the right attitude.
- Save on the preparation time.
- Avoid disagreement that might occur while deciding on a destination.
- No packing -- a time-consuming and stressful event when it is being done for a family of four.
- There is no time wasted on traveling. The absence of waiting, delayed flights, mix-ups is also soothing.
- Increases vacation time as no time wasted on travel, reaching places, waiting etc.
- There are no chances of getting lost and a person need not be extra alert to ensure they are following the map correctly.
- The local hotpots can be enjoyed in a leisurely fashion -- one can spend the extra hour admiring something that catches their attention, than having to rush to next destination.
- More time for fun.
 Things to do on a staycation
Contrary to the belief that there will not be anything to do, there are a lot of things that can be done during staycations. All that is needed is the right attitude.
- Go to a local festival.
- Visit a local garden.
- Take a nap in a hammock or lounge chair.
- Go for drinks with friends.
- Catch up on reading the newspaper at Starbucks.
- Attend a sporting event.
- Take the kids to the swimming pool.
- Go to a water park.
- Go to the movies.
- Visit an aquarium.
- Spend a day at the spa.
- Visit local museums.
- Go to the zoo.
- Have a long leisurely lunch on the patio.
- Spend a day at the lake.
- Have a picnic.
- Build a campfire for roasting hotdogs and marshmallows.
- Go to the best steak house in town.
- Have a day of fun at a local amusement park.
- Go camping.
- Take a day trip to a nearby town or city.
- Go to the park and play.
- Rent that movie you missed at the theater.
- Go fishing.
- Read a book or your favourite magazine.
- Exercise, if one had been waiting for the right time to start on their physical fitness regime.
- Join the local yoga class.
- Check out some virtual vacation hotspots.
 Ten tips for making a memorable staycation
Whether people opt to take a staycation rather than a vacation in order to save money, avoid holiday travel, or any other reason, here are a few staycation strategies that can help plan a good staycation.
- Give the staycation a start and end date -- otherwise, it runs the risk of feeling like any other day or a relaxing weekend at home.
- Just like one plans who all are a part of a vacation i.e. -- is the vacation just for the couple, is it a family vacation or does one want to share it with a set special friends, plan who all is included in the staycation and bar the rest out -- lock the front door, switch off the mobile, computer and put the phone off the hook or switch on the answering machine.
- Decide on a budget and see what all can be done locally on that budget. #Stock up family games -- playing games together is a great way of bonding.
- Plan your menus -- they should be hassle-free and should involve a few cooking activities that can be done together -- barbecue, grill etc.
- Staycation does not mean one does not dress up suitably. For a candlelight dinner, dress formally, for a barbecue, take out your casuals and dont forget your bathing suits for the day on the poolside.
- Watch you favourite movies or movies that you had wanted to watch but missed.
- Read your favourite book in your favourite chair.
- Top 10 staycation strategies
- Beat High Gas Prices this Summer with a Staycation