When we eat, food passes down the esophagus into the stomach. The stomach contains acids and other chemicals that aid the digestion process. Stomach cells also make mucus which protects them from damage from the acid. But the cells lining the esophagus are different however and have little protection from acid. There is a circular band of muscle, also called a sphincter, existing at the point between the esophagus and stomach. When we are eating, this sphincter relaxes to allow food to pass. The sphincter automatically tightens up and stops food and acid from leaking back into the oesophagus. This process is called refluxing. Thus the sphincter acts like a valve. In the case of acid stomach, the acid manages to move back into the esophagus causing problems. And because the lining of the oesophagus is more sensitive than that of the stomach, it cannot deal with the harsh acid.
Symptoms include heartburn or a burning sensation behind the breastbone, belching, burping and a feeling that food is becoming stuck after swallowing. Occasionally, the symptoms also indicate a more serious disorder such as a stomach ulcer or hiatus hernia.
The causes for Acid stomach include overeating or drinking, wearing constrictive clothes and /or bending, lying down or physical exertion after eating. Regular attacks accompanied by a constant feeling of burning or constriction in the throat may be caused by a loose muscle at the back of oesophagus, allowing acid to flow back from the stomach.
- Naturopathy --There are several self help techniques for treating acid stomach in Naturopathy.
- Eat small, regular meals based on whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals and moderate amount of proteins such as lean meat, eggs, fish, cheese and nuts.
- Cut out fatty foods and those that contain possible irritants such as chemical food additives or hot spices.
- Avoid drinking water before meals and drink sparingly after meals.
- One should also reduce the stress factor in one’s life.
In addition to advice about diet and way of living, practioners may recommend marsh- mallow root and slippery elm to reduce irritation and inflammation of digestive organs. Purslans and marsh mallow root has to be taken as a decoction though it can also be taken as an infusion.
To tone and heal the entire digestive system, the Bitter herbs hops, Rue, Gentian and Golden seal is often suggested but should not be taken for long periods or in large doses. This is particularly true for pregnant women because these herbs tend to stimulate uterine muscles or especially in the case of rue, can cause vomiting.
Other alternative treatment
Acupuncture This is said to relieve many digestive disorders, including excess acidity and inflammation of stomach lining.
Homeopathy – Nux vmica is used to relieve discomfort due to overeating .
Some Do’s and Dont’s for acid stomach
- Do take time to relax, allowing about 20 minutes of leisure before and after eating. Eat slowly and chew each mouthful.
- Do try and eat at least three hours before bedtime.
- Do not drink Milk. It is a myth that milk eases the burning sensation.
- Don’t smoke- it will irritate the stomach lining
- Do make sure you get enough sleep
- Don’t take aspirin in large quantities- It can cause gastrointestinal bleeding
- Do reduce the amount of coffee and tea and avoid them entirely during an attack
Did You know...
- The mature dried coconut is valuable in the treatment of acidity. Its oil reduces the acid secretion of the stomach and gives relief.
- Starting one's day with a milk based breakfast along with papaya also helps prevent acid stomach.
- Inspite of its sharp taste, the fresh fruit of grapefruit helps in the prevention and treatment of both acidity and other diseases caused by too much acid in the stomach.
- A teaspoon or two of honey also prevents an acid stomach.
- Excessive use of groundnuts can cause acidity just like Brinjal, Capsicum and apple can make things worse.
- Herbal Remedies for Acid Reflux
- Acid Reflux News
- Home Remedies for Heartburn
- Nutrition you can live with
9 Essential Skills Kids Should Learn
Kids in todays school system are not being prepared well for tomorrows world.As someone who went from the corporate world and then the government world to the ever-changing online world, I know how the world of yesterday is rapidly becoming irrelevant.
Disney Brings "Cars" To Life With Cars Land
After five years in the making, Disney California Adventure is finally ready to rev up the engines on Cars Land. Disneys latest creation, based on the hit Pixar movie, brings the popular characters to life at Disney California Adventure.
Rats Walking Again After Spinal Cord Injury
Scientists in Switzerland have restored full movement to rats paralyzed by spinal cord injuries in a study that spurs hope that the techniques may hold promise for someday treating people with similar injuries.
Worth Our Weight: The Taste of Compassion
Its a sunny Saturday morning, and my wife and I turn into a residential neighborhood of Santa Rosa, California the only sign of commerce is a beleaguered shopping mall a few hundred feet away. I glance down at my GPS to make sure this is where we want to be and in doing so I almost pass my destination. There it is tucked away to the left, sandwiched between two homes: Worth our Weight (W.O.W)
15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy
Here is a list of 15 things which, if you give up on them, will make your life a lot easier and much, much happier. We hold on to so many things that cause us a great deal of pain, stress and suffering and instead of letting them all go, instead of allowing ourselves to be stress free and happy we cling on to them. Not anymore. Starting today we will give up on all those things that no longer serve us, and we will embrace change. Ready? Here we go: