Anti wrinkle cream
Anti wrinkle creams promise younger, wrinkle free skin. They claim to arrest the ageing process of the skin. Research shows that though some creams are effective, their long term impact or efficacy has not yet been scientifically tested. There are also questions raised about the ingredients used in anti wrinkle creams.
Why should I be aware of this?
Knowing what to avoid is just as important as knowing what to look for. Falling under the cosmetic category, anti wrinkle creams like other skin care creams are just required to list some of their ingredients. They do not need to proved the claims made by these products in a scientific experiment. It is not mandatory for them to mention the side effects of any of their ingredients and the proportion in which they are used in the particular product.
All about anti wrinkle creams
There are many anti wrinkle products available in the market. Some claim to show faster results, while others claim to be "natural". It is important to know all about the ingredients and their effect on our skin before heading for the nearest counter.
Ingredients to avoid in anti wrinkle creams
Most of the anti wrinkle creams available in the market are fused with synthetic chemicals that are not natural as might appear by the claims of the product. Look out for plant based ingredients and see what they account for in the total composition.
Some chemicals to avoid
- Mineral oil -- Mineral oils in most cases is made from petrolatum, paraffin wax, and sometimes even liquid paraffin. Experts say that this can be a harmful compound because it can clog the pores and therefore produce acne. As it clogs the pores, it also hinders the skin from getting rid of the toxins.
- Parabens -- Parabens are known to cause irritations, rashes, allergic reactions, and even contact dermatitis. They are also similar to estrogen in their chemical structure and are known to promote the growth of cancerous tumors.
- Fragrances and colorings -- The chemicals lending fragrance and coloring can actually be harmful to the skin.
- Alcohol -- Alcohols are often added to many anti aging skin creams, but are to be avoided because they cause dryness and can even damage blood vessels.
- DEA, MEA, TEA, and dioxane -- These are believed to be carcinogenic. Dioxane can be particularly harmful and is believed to affect the kidneys, respiratory tract, and the nervous system.
- Polyethylene glycol
Ingredients to look for in anti wrinkle creams
- Vitamin C -- Vitamin C encourages healing and stimulates the growth of new collagen. It is best if plant based ingredients or plant extracts are used to provide vitamin c in the product instead of a chemical.
- Vitamin E -- Vitamin E helps the skin repair itself, protects it from harmful bacteria and also creates a moisture barrier so that the epidermis is less likely to dry out. Again, it is better if it is derived from plant sources.
- Vitamin A -- Vitamin A , when combined with vitamins C and E in an anti-wrinkle cream, is a very effective antioxidant.
- Green tea -- Green Tea is rich in antioxidants and is an effective free radical fighter as well as diuretic.
- Alpha-hydroxy or beta-hydroxy acids -- These mild acids help dead skin cells slough off more easily
- Ceramides -- These can be derived from cow's brains or pig's brains. Ceramides also help lubricate the surface of the skin.
- Glycerin -- Glycerin, a by-product of soap manufacturing, attracts moisture to the skin and retain it there so it looks more dewy.
- Hyaluronic acid -- Often made from rooster's combs, hyaluronic acid is a natural moisturizer.
- Collagen and elastin may be added to a cream in the hopes that the skin will absorb it.s
You cannot increase your collagen and elastin levels by rubbing collagen and elastin onto your skin from a tube of cream. This is because the molecules in the cream are too big to penetrate through the outer layer of skin.
Collagen is essential to healthy skin. The best and most effective products contain natural ingredients that work to stimulate the body’s own production of collagen and elastins.
Freeze anti wrinkle creams -- These anti wrinkle creams promise effective results in few minutes and guarantee that the results will stay for many days.
How does it work -- The ingredients of freeze anti wrinkle cream are very strong and the most powerful among all is GABA. The action of GABA takes place by freezing the skin surface which allows the wrinkles to get smooth with the help of other chemicals present in the cream.
The freeze anti wrinkle cream does not freeze the skin surface physically but it cuts off nerve signals which are going to facial muscles. As nerve signals are primarily responsible for wrinkle accumulation, the wrinkles are not able to accumulate during the period in which freeze anti wrinkle cream stays on skin.
The results of this freeze anti wrinkle creams may vary from person to person. But mostly people have reported that freeze anti wrinkle creams starts showing their results in few minutes after it is applied and effects last as long as 48 hours.
What can I do?
- Protect your skin from the sun. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light speeds up the natural aging process of your skin, causing wrinkles and rough, blotchy skin.
- Use sunscreen when outdoors, even in winter.
- Use moisturizers -- Dry skin turns plump skin cells into shriveled ones, creating fine lines and wrinkles long before they are due. Though moisturizers cannot prevent wrinkles, they can temporarily mask tiny lines and creases.
- Avoid smoking
- Anti Wrinkle Skin Care Cream Myth Busted!
- Studying the Ingredients of Anti-Wrinkle Creams
- Anti Aging Skin Cream Ingredients To Avoid
- Wrinkle creams: Your guide to younger looking skin