Delta Resort is a premium five-star resort. It offers stunning panoramic views of the wilderness landscape. With 30 premium and deluxe villas, it is recognised as one of the "Top 10 Eco-Resorts in the World" (Conde Nast Traveler). A part of the Vogue Magazine list of "Top 100 Things To Do", Delta Resort is beautifully situated on the rolling banks of Lake Somova on the Danube Delta in Romania.
Danube Delta is a 5,000 square kilometre UNESCO World Heritage Site of wetlands.
Why should I be aware of this?
- UNESCO World Heritage Site, located largely in Romania and partly in Ukraine
- 312 recorded bird species, of which 184 are protected by the Bern Convention. 176 species breed on the site. Exceptionally varied and critical habitat for migratory and nesting birds
- 75 recorded species of fish, including 45 freshwater fish species. Several species of sturgeon
- 900 vertebrate and 2,500 invertebrate animal species have been recorded in the delta area
- Thousands of tonnes of alluvial sediments are carried into the delta by the Danube every year, resulting in a constant reshaping of the river banks and sandbars
- Reed-covered wetlands form the largest natural water purification system in Europe, being constantly refreshed and fertilised by floodwaters and filtering the river’s silt, nutrients and pollutants before they reach the Black Sea
All about Delta Resort
The Danube Delta
The waters of the Danube, which flow into the Black Sea, form the largest and best preserved of Europe’s deltas. The Danube delta hosts over 300 species of birds as well as 45 freshwater fish species in its numerous lakes and marshes. The Danube Delta and associated lagoons is a UNESCO World Heritage Site covering over 5,165 square kilometres
- April sees the beginning of the spring migration of birds to the Danube Delta. These "summer visitors" will stay through to the end of September, and include pelicans, herons, summer swans, etc.
- The nesting season for the summer birds is during May and June.
- November sees the start of the winter migration of birds, which include the red-breasted geese, winter swans, etc.
- Sport fishing is allowed throughout the year, except for 60 days in April and May.
- Orthodox Easter is usually in April, but can sometimes be at the end of March or the beginning of May.
Excursions and activities
Whether guests seek relaxation or adventure, the Delta Nature Resort offers a wealth of diversions, from the resort’s local wetlands and facilities, to the neighbouring Danube cruises, local vineyards and monasteries
Safaris and excursions meticulously planned and escorted by our professional guides Fleet of boats and off-road vehicles operating from our Exploration Centre on the lake-front
Every trip is customised to individual interests
Designed to create a unique and unforgettable experience for the gregarious traveller, naturalist, birdwatcher, angler or the simply curious
Rich and varied choice of activities Click here to view Tariffs
- Boat safari near the resort, through a maze of channels, waterways and lakes to view the Delta’s amazing bird and plant life (on flat-bottom barges): Euro 10/hour/boat (2 seats capacity)
- Speed boat safari on the lagoons and nesting areas off the Danube for bird-watching: Euro 60/hour/boat (4 seats capacity)
- Sunset cruise on the Danube: Euro 35/person
- Sport fishing for pike, carp, perch, cat fish or sander (licensed fishing is available for most of the year): Euro 10/day for licence
- Winter hunting. The hunting season is from 1 November to 1 March. Hunting is organised by authorised associations, and guests can shoot some species of duck and geese and also wild boar. Delta Nature Resort provides accommodation, transport and food
- Nature walks in the local woods (guided by a naturalist)
- Kayaking lesson on the lake: Euro 10/person
- Visit to the monasteries at Saon and Cocos, which includes lunch prepared and served by the nuns: Euro 25/person (by boat and/or car)
- Archaeological trip to Isaccea: Euro 20/person
- Traditional Romanian fish soup outdoor meal: Euro 30/person
- Gourmet trips
- Helicopter tour of the Danube Delta
- The Delta Resort