The primary cause of a disease is unique and differs from people to people. For thousands of years medical practitioners believed that powerful currents of energy flowed through the tissues of the body. The Chinese called this energy “Chi.” To modern science this is the missing link. Historically there are evidences of working with the energy field of the body to enhance existing health levels. Holistic medicine, also called alternative medicine, is nothing but a practice of this.
Getting to the Root of the Problem
Conventional medicine fails to deal with the imbalance which may be the root cause of the problem. The holistic system uses non-invasive and non-pharmaceutical techniques as an alternative to the conventional medicine approach.
Holistic medicines include Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Bach's Flower Remedies and Homeopathy, which apart from being in use for thousands of years, have proven scientific basis and have been validated by many scientific studies. Other holistic medicines, for which there is no explanation available with popular science, includes such therapies as Reiki or Spiritual Response Therapy, also known as energy therapies.
Here is an audio in which Robert Rowen, MD, Author of the "Second Opinion Newsletter" discusses the causes of chronic pain and therapies that can help.
Body, Mind and Spirit
The following are alternative holistic medicines for the body, mind and spirit.
The treatment methods are body oriented psychotherapies and hands-on healing methods such as massage therapy and chiropractic. Some other treatment methods for the body are:
- Chi gung
- Diet and nutritional therapy
- Kung fu
- Tai chi
Mostly relies on psychotherapies. Other therapies for the mind are:
Spiritual modalities can involve both the body and mind. The techniques used are:
- Energy healing
- Kung fu
- Tai chi
How Holistic Medicine is Different
- Conventional medicine is preferable for treatment for cases like trauma and emergencies while holistic medicine is more successful in treating chronic diseases.
- The first priority of conventional medicine is to provide relief to symptoms. Prevention or the treatment of the cause of a disorder is rarely looked into. All alternative systems, on the other hand, strive to find and treat the causes of a disorder. Alternative therapies are also much more focused on prevention.
- Conventional medicine is organ specific, hence it develops specialists such as ophthalmologists, cardiologists, nephrologists, neurologists, etc. Alternative medicine, without exception, considers each case as unique and uses a holistic approach in treatment.
- Conventional treatment believes in aggressive intervention to treat disease and prefers quick fix solutions. Alternative medicine provides gentle, long-term support to enable the body's own innate powers to do the healing.
- Surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, and powerful pharmaceutical drugs are the main arsenal of conventional medicine. Alternative medicine uses time-tested, natural remedies and gentle, hands-on treatments.
- Conventional medicine practitioners are guided by strict rules regarding treatment of patients. Practitioners of holistic medicine, on the other hand, treat each patient as an individual and do what, in their opinion, is best rather than what the rules specify.
- To conventional medicine practitioners the human body is a mechanical system and chemical imbalances in the system are the reasons for most disorders which can be treated only with powerful chemicals (drugs). Alternative medicine systems, on the other hand, accept that the body is suffused by a network of channels (meridians) that carry a subtle form of life energy. Diseases are caused by imbalances or blockages of this energy. Clearing of the blockages and strengthening of the energy is the ultimate goal of alternative medicine.
- In conventional treatments patients are expected to be passive and accept their treatment without questions. Alternative medicine, on the other hand, encourages patients to participate in both prevention and treatment.
Some Major Holistic Therapies:
- herbal medicine
- naturopathic medicine
- traditional Chinese medicine
- Ayurvedic medicine
- nutritional therapies
- stress reduction
Here is a very interesting site on natural health and alternative active life style Aromatherapy Essential Oils
Shiatsu, meaning finger pressure, works with the fingers and palm to stimulate the whole body with the aim of freeing blockages that prevent the energy from reaching the affected parts of the body. Based on the holistic system of Chinese traditional medicine, it uses the methods of pressure based techniques of acupuncture and acupressure. Shiatsu is effective in curing:
- Arthritis pain
- Anxiety and depression
- Back pain
- Bedwetting in children
- Carpel tunnel syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Digestive problems
- Drug addiction
- Facial spasm
- Headaches or migraines
- Menstrual problems
- Muscle tension
- Nausea and motion sickness
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Poor digestion
- Pre menstrual syndrome
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Sports and injuries
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Weight loss
Holistic Veterinary Medicine
Holistic Veterinary Medicine involves humane treatment of the animals. During physical examination of a pet, the veterinary holistic medicine practitioner also examines its behavior, medical and dietary history and other factors such as emotional stress
Holistic Treatment of Rabbits
An enterprising group House Rabbit Network is promoting holistic treatment for rabbits. It was often found that acupuncture worked wonders in rabbits in relieving pain to such an extent that allopath medicine was not required at all. You can join the group and donate to help their cause.