Home remedies for fairness
There are a large number of people, not just women but also men, across the world who wish their skin was fairer. The yearning for fairer skin is not just restricted to South East Asian and Caucasians, but also women with naturally dark complexions, who simply want a 'paler' or 'untanned' version of their skin tone. This has led to a growing number of people reaching out to fairness creams and skin whitening creams.
With rising concerns about using products which have chemical ingredients that might harm their skin, the popularity of homemade options have been increasing.
Why should I be aware of this?
Instead of splurging on skin whitening creams, one can use various homemade remedies to get fairer skin. Home remedies for fairness are kitchen remedies for getting a lighter skin tone. These usually use plant based ingredients. A host of simple home remedies listed here can help a person have a blemish-free skin. Even if one does not want to be fair, using these home remedies will give them a healthy, blemish free glowing and young skin.
How does this affect me?
- Some chemical ingredients of fairness creams might have a harmful effect on the skin. The skin specially becomes vulnerable after long term usage. The damage done to the skin in most cases can be irreversible.
- Using home remedies for fairness will reduce your carbon footprint. The ingredients used by you will not have an adverse impact on the soil and environment in the long run.
- These ingredients will give you a healthy and glowing skin.
All about home remedies for fairness
Causes of dark skin
The causes for a dark skin or complexion could be many. Some of the most common ones are -
- Heredity - People who have a dark skin often have children who are dark-skinned too. The genes seem to pass on from generation to generation.
- Hyper-pigmentation - In this condition the skin produces too much of the pigment melanin, causing the skin to become darker than usual.
- Skin disorders - Conditions such as Lichen Simplex Chronicus is a skin disorder that causes severe itching that leaves the skin thick, dark and patchy.
- Sun rays - Over exposure to sun causes the skin to tan. This is a natural mechanism, wherein to protect itself from the harmful UV rays of the sun, the skin produces more of the pigment melanin which shields the penetration of UV rays into the skin.
Home remedies for different skin types
Fairness may not be the most ideal goal to strive for, but for people who do need to get rid of that tan, here are some easy and safe home recipes.
Mix half cup of oatmeal and mashed apple and half tablespoon fresh lime into a paste. Apply on face and leave for ten minutes
- Dry Skin -- Ingredients: Egg yolk, half cup cooked oatmeal, half mashed banana, one tbsp honey.
Mix the above ingredients and allow it to cool before applying.
- For Sensitive skin -- Apply mixture of one whole egg, one half cup cooked oatmeal and 1 tbsp almond oil. to face and wait 10 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- For Normal Skin -- Apply a mixture of turmeric powder, milk, wheat flour, lemon drops. Apply on face and leave for half an hour. Rub thoroughly and rinse with water.
All these home recipes must be ideally supplemented with a proper diet including lots of fresh vegetables, fruits and plenty of water (8-10 glasses of water daily).
Home remedies for lighter skin tones
Here are some simple home remedies that you can do to lighten the skin tone and get a lighter complexion. However, they must be done regularly and best results are obtained if they are inculcated as a part of daily routine.
- Mix 1 tsp of milk powder, 1 tsp of honey, 1 tsp of lemon juice, and ½ tsp of almond oil. Apply on face and wash off after 10-15 minutes. This pack helps bring shine to the skin and also removes tan.
- Mix oatmeal with curd and tomato juice and apply on the face. Keep it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. It helps remove the tan and lightens the skin.
- Place sliced raw potato on the face. It helps reduce blemishes and other marks.
- Make a paste of 2 tbsp of wheat flour using as much water as needed. Apply on your face in an upward motion. Leave it to dry. Then, wash with cool water and pat dry. This helps remove excess oil from the skin.
- Soak four teaspoons of split orange lentils (masoor dal) overnight in milk and grind it to paste next morning. Apply the paste on your face and leave it to dry. Wash off the dried paste. This is very effective. (The remainder of the paste can be refrigerated and applied the next day.
- Dried orange peels mixed with curd also help reduce blemishes and scars. Wash off this mixture with cold water after 15 minutes.
- Soak 4 almonds overnight. Grind into a fine paste using milk. Apply on face and neck and leave it overnight. Wash with cold water in the morning. Do this daily for 15 days, followed by twice a week.
- A tbsp of gram flour mixed with 2 tsp of raw milk and 2-3 drops of lime juice works well for lightening dark skin. Apply this mixture and leave it for 15 minutes before washing off. Repeat for 4 weeks and follow up with once a week.
- Apply a paste of fresh ground mint leaves and leave it for about 20 minutes. Wash with cold water, continue for 15 days.
- Make a paste of tomato and a few drops of lime juice and scrub this all over the body. This will have an instant bleaching and astringent effect on your skin.
- You can also apply cucumber juice to your body and leave it on for as long as you can.
- Aloe vera gel is also an excellent natural skin lightening agent. If you can get this gel from fresh leaves, it will work very effectively and well.
- Add a few strands of saffron to a cup of milk cream and leave it overnight. This can be mixed well and applied all over the body the next day. Leave it on for about an hour and then wash with soap and water.
All of these remedies can be used on the body quite easily and well. Do remember that you must try all the remedies for at least a month before you see any visible results.
What can I do?
Although there are no particular foods that will lighten your skin instantly, a balanced diet definitely helps by giving your skin a healthy glow. Drinking an optimum amount of water hydrates your skin and keeps it blemish free. Some recommendations regarding diet are as follows –
- Avoid excessive consumption of heavy and oily foods.
- Incorporate whole cereals, pulses, fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Drink 2-3 liters of water every day. Water washes out the toxins from the body.
- Use a good quality sunscreen when going out in the sun to protect the skin from tanning as well as the sun's UV rays.
- Be regular and persistent with the home remedies for skin lightening as suggested above.
- Home remedies for fairness have no side effects -- This is not true, although you have a better chance of having no side effects. You can be alergic to plant based ingredients also. Apply these home remedies on a small part of the skin on your hand and check for allergic reactions.
Turmeric as a fairness ingredient - Some home remedies recommend using turmeric in combination with refined flour and milk cream or some other plant based ingredient. These do work, but do not use soap or even face wash on your skin for 24 hours after using turmeric. The two react and darken your skin tone.
- Dark Skin
- Fairness with Honey and Lemon
- How to Get Fair Skin Naturally
- How To Become Fair