Home remedies for headache
Headache is one of the most common complaints. It is a symptom and not a disease. There are various types of headache such as headache due to anxiety or tension headache, depression, alcoholism, constipation, migraine or sick headache or biliary headache.
Home remedies for headache are cures made or created at home from natural ingredients such as fruits, vegetables and herbs. Home remedies for headaches are most sought after of natural remedies as it is one of the most common ailment people suffer from.
Why should I be aware of this?
- Most headaches are functional, and are often natures warning that something is wrong somewhere in the body. The actual pain, however, arises from irritation to nerve endings in the shoulder, neck, and scalp muscles, and also in the smooth muscles encircling the blood vessels which serve these areas.
- Taking painkillers too often for tension-type headaches or migraine can result in medication induced headache.
All about home remedies for headache
Here are some popular home remedies for headache. Most are easily available and do not take much effort to adopt.
- Start the day with a ripe apple with little salt sprinkled on it. Make sure you are having it on an empty stomach. Have it continuously for a week. This is an effective remedy for chronic headache.
- For relief from headaches caused due to common colds drink a decoction of coriander and sugar.
- During summer days a good head massage with coconut oil gives instant relief from headaches.
- To get relief from sinus headache, boil fresh ginger or dried ginger powder in water and inhale it.
- If you have heat induced headache, pound lemon crusts into a fine paste in a mortar and apply it as plaster on the forehead.
- Apply a paste of ground cinnamon mixed with water on your forehead to get relief.
- Put 10 drops of eucalyptus oil in boiled water, cover your head with a towel, and inhale the steam. It is also common cure for sinus headache.
- Add a paste of clove and salt crystals to milk and drink it.
- Prepare a tea using cumin, ginger, and coriander seeds. This tea soothes pain and can be taken at anytime of the day.
- Massage almond oil on forehead and at lower muscles of your head for relief.
- Rub the flowers of henna in vinegar and apply it over the forehead. It is also very effective home remedy for headache due to heat.
- Prepare a paste betel leaves and apply to the center of the headache. This will immediately give relief from headache as betel leaves have analgesic and cooling properties.
- Sometimes headaches are also caused due to excessive gas in the stomach. For such type of headache drink a glass of warm water with a fresh lemon squeezed in it. This will bring the headache as well as the gas problem down.
- Eucalyptus oil massage is also used as a pain reliever
- [Bishop’s weed]] is very effective in migraine. The fumes of the lighted bishop’s weed seeds are smoked or the seeds are sniffed directly.
- Mix 200 ml of spinach juice with 300 ml of carrot juice and drink it regularly. It helps those suffering from migraine headache. Alternatively add 100 ml each of beetroot and cucumber juices with 300 ml of carrot juice.
- Apply sandalwood paste on the forehead. This will give you relief from headaches in summer days.
What can I do?
- Soak your legs in a bucket filled with hot water (with temperature 40˚C to 45˚C) for 15 minutes every night before sleeping. Continue it for two to three weeks. This is effective home remedy for chronic headache.
A balanced diet can also play a crucial role in preventing or treating headaches. Some headaches result from a missed meal or a lack of protein and can be alleviated by eating a healthy protein snack. Include fruits, green vegetables (salad), and pulses in meals.
- The non-vegetarians can eat fish and liver with least amount of spices.
- Drink a lot of water.
- There are also some foods which are suspected of causing headaches, such as some nuts, aged cheeses, and chocolate, and foods containing nitrates or monosodium glutamate.
- Smokers should stop smoking. Reduce the number of cups of coffee tea or stop it completely. You simply don’t need any external stimulants.
Some useful tips
- Do not skip your regular balanced diet. Sometimes hunger also causes headache.
- Do yoga regularly.
- Banana gives good amount of energy and also relief from headache.
- Sweet and mild tastes are considered better in relieving headaches than other tastes. When you are suffering from headache, consume a sweet preparation or even a spoonful of sugar.
- Avoid eating junk food and fried foods as this aggravates headache.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat foods rich in calcium, protein, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D.
- Eat green and fibrous vegetables.
- Take proper sleep.
- Avoid excess cheese, chocolate, creams, and red meat in the diet.