Whenever some new kid hits the block the older gang bully it, till it either steps into oblivion or becomes a name to reckon with. That's the situation with online dating. Even though it was such a stigma it's survived and done so well, that it's now an established way forward for the new world. There was a time when one was looked upon rather piteously if you had to resort to the internet or dating columns, you werent somehow normal. But normal changes with every passing generation. So if you're lonely and thinking of starting to date it may not be such a bad idea to make new friends and break down a few barriers. Dating online has both advantages and disadvantages as well as its own dangers.
Why should I be aware of this?
Everyone's looking for love, it's just natural to want companionship, to love and be loved in return. Ofcourse the matrimonial times in the daily newspaper exists and does well, but with the innovation of computers and the Internet, much has changed including the world of dating and relationships. There are many more options on how we can find dates and relationships. Online dating websites provide people a space where they can meet others and potentially date the prospects with only the use of a computer and an Internet connection. Online dating helps people make the dating process much easier overall. The fears people have of rejection are often minimized as early on in the search you can simply exclude those who do not interest. With that said, one must always proceed with caution as there are certain disadvantages as well.
All about Internet dating
Online dating or Internet dating is a dating system which allows individuals, couples and groups to make contact and communicate with each other over the Internet, usually with the objective of developing a personal romantic or sexual relationship. Online dating services usually provide unmoderated matchmaking over the Internet, through the use of personal computers or cell phones. 
How to pick a dating site
Luckily any need, want or desire that you have about the kind of mate that you're looking for can be found on a dating site. So if you're looking to marry a millionaire? Try Millionaire Match. go weak at the knees at the thought of a man in a uniform, then take a peek at UniformDating. These sites, and many others like them, actually exist. They really do and you're not the only one who has tastes that may be ...well let's say different. But first you have to be really sure you know what you're on the hunt for as there are more than 9 million websites currently catering to the singles market.
- Determine what kind of relationship you are looking for. Something serious that may lead to marriage? Casual dating to ease you back into the dating market? Sexual encounters with no strings attached? Friendship-based interactions that could lead to romance? If one or more relationship types interest you, make a note of that as well.
- Create a list of things that you are looking for in a relationship, mate, date or sexual partner. Do they have to be a certain height, have similar interests, be of a certain income or intelligence level, live nearby, be open to dating a single parent, or speak a certain language? There are dating services that cater to each of these factors, and they may or may not be of use to you in your search.
- Next, decide on a price range you want to abide by when searching the dating services for your perfect mate. There are several excellent free dating sites out there, but sometimes the added perks and membership numbers of the larger, more expensive dating services are worth the cost. Either way, have a monthly amount you are willing to spend in mind.
- Create a list of potential online dating services to review. So for example you want to find horse mad people then start with typing into your favorite search engine the requirements that you have with 'dating' appended onto the end.
- Of the websites you have listed, which offer you the most amount of options in the dating criteria important to you? Many of the larger sites provide you with a wealth of options to choose from when both posting your profile and searching for someone - which offer the most that suit your needs?
- Choose some of your top dating sites - the amount is up to you but try for less than ten. Take advantage of their free signup (every single dating site offers free signups; it's contacting people that costs money). Search the other members, take a peek at the features, and smile at a couple of interesting singles. See how the interface works, and whether or not the quality, and quantity of singles in your area is acceptable.
- After a week or so, you'll notice that you spend more time at one or two sites. Maybe they are easier to use, pleasing to the eye, quick with response times, have a plethora of singles to choose from, or offer many of the features you need. Whatever the reason, you'll know within the week which sites to invest more time into.
What You Need:
- An Internet connection
- Knowledge of how to use search engines
- An email account
Online dating is not all fun and games and there are a lot of things that a person has to know about Online dating before one gets into the intricacies of it. Online dating may seem to be the simplest thing in the world but it is not. It should be viewed in all earnestness or things could go hay wire. Every game has its rules and unless you know all the rules you just can't become a good player and eventually a winner.
As the internet allows for unlimited possibilities in communication, it is this feature that is its' biggest boon, as well as bane for Online dating. The most fantastic part is that even before you meet the person you can know practically everything about them, their likes, dislikes, tastes and preferences, and interests and obsessions. Therefore, these are some of the most sensible precautions to take heed of when venturing into this rather exciting world.
- arrange to meet in a public place YOU know well
- inform a friend of where you'll be
- don't arrange to be collected from your home
- don't accept a lift
- have your mobile with you - fully charged and with credit
- have a plan to follow if you are unhappy with anything
- don't give your home address until you are happy to do so
- trust your instincts
- and most important - Stay in Control
The most popular global dating sites
- Plenty of Fish
- Date Hookup
- Yahoo! Personals
- Anastasia International.com
Films about Internet dating
- Hard Candy - An older man and a teenager meet online. Which one is the dangerous one?
- Must Love Dogs - The perfect movie on the night you need a cliché romantic comedy. It's okay, we all have those nights.
- The Importance of Blind Dating - For the times that funny is in order.
- Internet Dating - Anyone know this one?
- Karl Spain Wants A Woman - Hard to find but worth it.
- Chat Room - Good if you need one the guy will like too.
- LOL - This is the good indie movie pick on the topic.
- Mr. and Mrs. Jones - Looking for a romantic comedy with a decent plotline?
- You've Got Mail, a 1998 film in which the two protagonists conduct a relationship entirely over email before meeting each other.
- Napoleon Dynamite, a 2003 film in a which one subplot involves a central character's online (and later in person) relationship.
- Euro Trip, a 2004 film in which the central character has a relationship wholly via email with a girl from Berlin
- Must Love Dogs, a 2005 film about two people trying to find love through online dating.
- Another Gay Movie, a 2006 film where a student finds his high school English teacher online.
- Because I Said So, a 2007 film in which a mother creates an online dating profile for her daughter.
- Jewtopia, a play which revolves around Jewish dating service, JDate.
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians Kim And Kourtney set up Kloe on an Internet Dating Service.
- In 1727, Helen Morrison, a lonely spinster in Manchester, England, placed the first lonely hearts personal, advertising for a husband in the local weekly newspaper.
- U.S. residents spent $469.5 million on online dating and personals in 2004, and over $500 million in 2005, the largest segment of “paid content” on the web other than pornography
- Even in the recessed economy of today overall revenues for Date.com, Matchmaker.com and Amor.com grew 17% compared to the first and second quarters of last year.
More on Internet dating
What can I do to help
- Internet Dating Much More Successful Than Thought
- ↑