Skin care cream
Skin care creams are used to support skin health, maintain soft, healthy, trouble-free skin, soothe the skin and support skin immunity. With facial skin being the most visible part, the popularity of skin care creams grows with niche products being introduced in the market to meet new skin care concerns.
Why should I be aware of this?
We are continuously bombarded by messages from the skin care industry about skin care creams that will
- Give us a glowing complexion.
- Meet the challenges of ageing skin.
- Rejuvenate the skin
- Give us a healthy blemish free skin
- Give us a whiter/fairer complexion
- Reduce wrinkles
- Reduce discoloration.
However, the cosmetic industry in most of the countries across the world is not regulated. And as long as the manufacturers list the ingredients on the label as required by the regulating agencies of the country like the FDA in the US, they can make all the claims they like. Additionally, many skin care companies use the term “Natural” when in reality many products contain less than 1% of a natural ingredient.
How does this affect me?
As consumers, we need to be aware about.
- The effectiveness of the skin care cream.
- The ingredients and their impact.
- Harmful effects if any.
- What should we look for on the product labels?
- Any alternative remedies that might yield the same results.
All about skin care creams
There are many types of skin care creams available in the market.
Various types of skin care creams
- Fairness Creams
- Anti ageing creams
- Skin whitening creams
- Anti wrinkle cream
- Bedtime skincare cream
- Day care cream
Bed time cream
At night our body system stays extremely active. Thee is formation of newer skin cells and the healing of skin cells takes place.
The best possible skin care cream that is meant to be used during nights should have Manuka honey, shea butter, vitamin E, COQ10, avocado oil and light babassu. All have their own effect like healing, hydrating, softening and soothing of skin.
Day care skin cream
The skin needs moisturizer cream during the day time. The ingredients should be similar to that of the night care cream but the cream should be far lighter and not as waxy as the night care cream.
What to look for in a good skin care cream
Function and Purpose
The best skin creams
- Moisturize and protect the skin
- Prevent damage from free radicals
- Support the skin’s cell renewal process.
- Stimulate the production of collagen and elastin fibers.
- Prevent infection and heal minor injuries.
- They are useful in the treatment of a variety of conditions and they counter the problems that come along with age.
The best natural skin care cream should contain a number of
Several creams that work really effectively might contain
- Mineral oil
- Petroleum or paraffin wax.
These ingredients strip the skin off natural oils, making the entire exercise self defeating.
Chemical to avoid
Avoid for these chemical ingredients.
- Alcohol, Isopropyl (SD-40)
- Benzoyl Peroxide – found in many acne products
- DEA (Diethanolamine), MEA (Monoethanolamine), & TEA (Triethanolamine)
- Dioxin – extremely toxic, by-product of manufacturing Tirclosan, etc.
- DMDM Hydantoin & Urea (Imidazolidinyl)
- FD&C Color and Pigments
- Fragrances – a term for all synthetics
- Parabens - Methyl, Propyl, Ethyl, Butyl
- PEG (Polyethylene glycol) with any number or addition
- Phthalates - (often present with sunscreens and other ingredients on this list)
- Propylene Glycol (PG) and Butylene Glycol
- Quaternium 15
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Sodium Methyl Sulfate
- Sunscreen chemicals: avobenzone, benzphenone, methoxycinnamate, paba, etc.
- Triclosan – antibacterial agent
- Most of the damage that causes wrinkles is done before we reach the age of twenty.
What can I do?
- Drinking plenty of water, eating raw fruits and vegetables, and getting plenty of rest are one of the best ways to achieving healthy and radiant skin. What goes into your body is reflective on your skin.
- Hydrating Mask --To maintain the best possible skin health, try using a hydrating mask instead of night skin cream.
Some home remedies for skin care
- Moisturizer -- Virgin coconut oil/butter makes for a good moisturizer by providing a protective layer that locks in natural moisture.
- Acne treatment - As an acne treatment, add a couple of drops of tea tree, lavender, or patchouli oil to coconut oil.
- Facial toner -- For a homemade facial toner, mix green tea, chamomile or ginseng tea (made with mineral water or distilled water) with lavender or lemon oil.
- Glowing skin -- For a healthy and glowing skin make a mask by mixing avocado with shredded cucumber.
- Remove blemishes -- Rub lemon directly onto your skin.
- Skin Care Cream Ingredients. What Works & What Does Not
- What's in Your Skin Care Cream?
- Skin Care Home Remedies
- Choosing the best skin care creams
- Skin care linked to tumors in mice