Hi Guys this is my favourite lentil/dal soup , do try it out..make adjustments to the recipe as i'm giving andaaz se.. This is a great soup for vegetarians as it is very high in p[roteins and the vegans can easily substitute the ghee which is clarified butter/butter for a light oil.
do try it out.
1 cup chana dal (bengal gram), arhar (pigeon peas), moong dal (green beans)and egyptian lentils (malka masoor dal)
2 tbsp rice
3 tbsp ghee or butter
2 large red onions minced
1 1/2 tsp salt and the same amount of black pepper powder
for the stock
150 gms of bottlegourd (lauki), chopped
150 gms, red pumpkin (kaddu) chopped
1 large tomato chopped (you can use tamaring as well if you dont like tomato
1 large onion chopped
2 Tej pattas or bay leaves (optional)
2 long or cloves (optional)
2 pods of garlic whole (optional)
as many mint leaves preferably about 10-15 bread croutons or cottage cheese or paneer cubed, fried and then soaked in it's own water
- Place the veggies, bay leaves, cloves and garlic for stock in a pressure cooker with about 6 -7 cups of water and cook till the second whistle.. that would i imagine be for about 20 minutes
- Strain stock through a fine meshed strainer and discard residue /give it to the pigs if yo're breeding them.
- wash dals and rice and drain
- melt butter in a pressure cooker over moderate heat and add onions and fry till golden brown
- add dals and rice and fry continuously for about 3 minutes
- stir in stock, salt pepper and simmer for about 2 minutes, close the cooker and cooker under pressure for about half an hour
- blend soup and strain into a pan. bring to boil, lower heat and simmer.
- serve hot garnished with mint and paneer /bread