Natural home remedies for common diseases are an age old practice. They have been passed down from one generation to the another through trial and error. Home remedies are based on the knowledge that most natural foods like fruits, vegetables, cereal, grains, seeds and nuts as well as other natural substances, posses many medicinal virtues. These natural foods have been refined as natural cures in different countries and research has shown that many of these cures are astonishingly effective.
Hippocrates, the father of Medicine (460-357 BC) said: ‘Nature cures, not the physician.’ But never before has the average man and women been better fed but so poorly nourished. The progress of civilization has led to an increasing concentration of population in cities. As a consequence man has become divorced from nature and its rich, beautiful bounty. Innumerable chemicalized, preserved, refrigerated, treated, embalmed, processed and pasteurized food items are what is available and pushed in the name of food and nutrition.
 Vital human force
It is a well-known fact that artificial foods found in abundance today are, in a great measure, responsible for many of the disorders in humans. A large number of diseases attributed to the various organisms are in fact due to deficiency of vital elements in the food that people consume. The people then try and make up for that deficiency by taking the necessary substances prepared in the labs. But the truth is that the human body, more easily digests elements found in nature, than these supplements. Thus consuming natural foods, whenever possible makes up for the deficiency and also cleanses and purifies the body ridding it of toxins that give rise to various diseases.
Some common ailments and their home remedies are:
 Remedies for Backache
- The most important home remedy for back ache is the use of garlic. 2 or 3 cloves should be taken in the morning.
- Fry ten cloves on slow fire till they are brown in about 60 ml of oil and use that oil to rub on the back. Allow it to remain for about 3 hours. This treatment must be continued for about 15 days.
- Lemon- Juice of one lemon should be mixed with common salt and taken twice daily.
 Remedies for Common Cold
- Lemon- It is beneficial in all types of cold with fever. Vitamin C rich lemon juice increases body resistance , decreases toxicity and reduces the duration of illness.
- Garlic- garlic soup is an old remedy and should be taken once daily. The soup is prepared by boiling 4 cloves of chopped garlic in a cup of water. Also five drops of garlic oil combined with a teaspoon of onion juice and diluted in a cup of water should be had two to three times a day.
- Ginger- Take about 10 gms of ginger, cut into small pieces and boil in a cup of water. Strain and add some sugar and drink when hot. Also ginger tea helps
- Lady’s fingers-This vegetable is rich in mucilage and acts as a drug to allay irritation, swelling and pain. Take about 100 gms, chop finely and boil it down in half a liter of water to make a decoction. The steam from this mixture can also be inhaled.
 Remedies for Dandruff
- Fenugreek seeds-Take 2 tb spoon of fenugreek seeds , soak it overnight in water, grind it into a fine paste and apply it over the scalp . Leave it for half an hour an then wash
- Beet-Boil the top and the root of Beet in water and massage the liquid into the scalp every night. White beet is considered better.
- Mix equal parts of almond oil and olive oil. Warm it a bit and gently massage it into your scalp and hair. Wash hair after an hour with a mild shampoo.
- Tea tree oil/eucalyptus oil can also be mixed with coconut oil and massaged into the scalp. Remember to use gentle, circular motions while massaging. It not only soothes the scalp, but also increases blood flow and helps get rid of dead cells.
- Add two teaspoons of vinegar to six teaspoons of water. Rub it into the scalp. You might experience slight itching in the beginning. Wash hair with lukewarm water and a mild herbal shampoo after half an hour. Repeat this treatment thrice a week till you see results.
- Wash your pillow cover, towel and bed sheet often. Also, avoid sharing your comb with anyone.
- Diet also plays a major role in the case of dandruff. Avoid oily and spicy food and citrus fruits. Also, try to stay happy as stress aggravates dandruff.
 Remedies for Fatigue
- Consumption of freshly milled cereal seeds such as corn seeds, wheat seeds, rye seeds, maize seeds, barley and oat seeds.
- Minerals Potassium is essential. Green leafy vegetables, oranges, potatoes and lentils are good for that. Sesame seeds, almonds, oats and walnuts are rich sources of calcium which is also essential. Pumpkin seeds have zinc
- Dates- 5 to 7 dates should be soaked overnight in half cup of water and crushed in the morning. The water along with the dates should be taken at least twice a week.
- Grapes- Juice of ripe grapes is a good remedy
- Lemon crust- The crust of lemon has also been found to be effective. The crust should be pounded into a fine paste and applied as a plaster on the forehead.
 Remedies for Sore throat –
- Mango bark- The fluid of mango bark is extracted by grinding and applied locally. It can also be used as a throat gargle.
- Bishop’s Weed- An infusion of the seeds mixed with common salt can be used as a gargle.
- Cinnamon- One teaspoonful of coarsely powdered cinnamon, boiled in a glass of water with a pinch of pepper powder and two tsp of honey
- Tamarind water , henna decoction sage water can also be used as gargle for curing a sore throat.
 Did You Know
- You can make a natural laxative that works many times better for constipation than any over the counter laxatives. Just eat 4 Prunes twice a day
- 6 cherries have the same effect as that of 1 aspirin. In addition, cherries are filled with antioxidants
- If every woman in the United States would take just one supplement called Selenium every day....breast cancer rates would drop 50 Percent
- If a blister does appear, break off a leaf from an Aloe Vera plant and rub the liquid gel to the blister. It smells nasty, but works wonders
- Eating certain foods with anti-oxidants can help stabilize the skin cells while preventing and repairing the damage from the sun.
- Home Remedies for You
- List of common home remedies
- Herbal Remedies for Common Ailments
- Simple home remedies for common ailments