Oils for Beauty
From CopperWikiessential oils for beauty goes back to the days of the ancient Greeks, Romans and Egyptians, who learned how to extract precious essences from plants and use them on the skin to moisturize, smooth, calm and help in healing.
 Why should I be aware of this?
Essential Oils are an excellent substitute for commercial cosmetics like cleansers, creams and massage oils. Since they may be mixed and used at home, their formulations are likely to be free from the harmful chemicals often present in commercial cosmetics. Understanding how they work, and how best to use them for beauty therapies can help us use them better.
 All about oils for beauty
 Oils for the skin
- To prevent the skin chapping in cold weather, mix a teaspoon of Castor oil and a teaspoon of Rose water. Apply on the affected areas and leave it overnight. Remove this in the morning with warm water.
- To remove a sun tan, mix Olive oil with equal quantities of Vinegar and apply the mixture an hour before your bath.
- For an anti-aging remedy, mix a teaspoon of Olive oil with an egg. Smoothen it all over the face and neck, let it remain till the skin gets dry. Remove this with cotton– wool dipped in hot water to which a teaspoon of Soda-Bicarbonate has been added.
- Jojoba Oil is known to help reduce wrinkles and other aging lines. In addition, it helps promote the growth of new skin cells.
- To get rid of black circles around the eyes, massage with few drops of Almond oil around the eyes.
- For a beauty mask, mix a tablespoon of Gram flour, one fourth teaspoon of Orange peel powder, one tablespoon of beaten yoghurt and one teaspoon of Olive oil. Mix well and apply this paste to face and neck. Let it remain till the skin starts feeling a little dry and then rub face with hands till the mask is fully removed. Wash face with warm and then cold water. This mask also removes blemishes from the skin and makes it soft and smooth.
- To brighten a dull complexion, mix a teaspoon of gram flour to which a pinch of turmeric powder, few drops of lime juice and a half a teaspoon each of Olive oil and milk has been added. Leave on for half an hour and then wash off with water.
- To get rid of a dry and itchy skin, take Cod-Liver oil, one teaspoon a day for one month.
- For a dry complexion, take a teaspoon of Almond oil and mix with half a teaspoon each of milk cream and lime juice. Apply every night on your face and neck before going to bed.
- Soak muslin cloth in warm Olive oil and cover face with it, after making holes for eyes and nose. Let it remain for half an hour and then wipe it with a soft cloth. Let the face remain as it is the whole night. Next morning wash with warm water and later splash cold water. This practice is very useful for getting rid of dry skin.
- Mixture of Lavender oil and Jojoba oil, works magic on dry skin.
- To get rid of hot and itchy symptoms on skin, smooth skin with Sandalwood oil.
- In the winter, take an oil bath to prevent the body from becoming rough and dry. Put two tablespoons of Olive oil in a bucket of water and few drops of cologne. The skin will become soft and glowing after bath.
- Massage grey and wrinkled elbows every day at bedtime with baby oil to make them soft and smooth.
- Smooth on a generous amount of Olive oil before bed, put on white cotton gloves, and go to sleep. Your hands will be softer and smoother in the morning.
 Oils for the hair
- Warm Coconut oil, before massaging into the hair. This way it will soak better at the roots and is more effective. Use alternate hot and cold water soaked towels to turban the head 2-3 times before washing oiled hair. * To make the Henna pattern darker, rub a little sesame oil on palms before applying, and dab a swab of cotton soaked in mustard oil after applying. This way the Henna will not fall off soon after drying up.
- To get rid of dandruff, apply a mixture of Almond oil and gooseberry juice with finger tips on the scalp for 2 – 3 hours.
- Olive oil helps repair split ends, heals dandruff, and makes hair shiny, silky, and lustrous. Massage a few tablespoons of olive oil into the scalp and hair. Cover hair with a bathing cap and leave on for 30 minutes or more, then shampoo as usual.
- To get thick eyelashes, apply castor oil on the roots using a small brush at bedtime. It strengthens and cools the lashes.
- Place 1 or 2 drops of Rosemary on your hair brush before brushing to promote growth and thickness.
 Oils for the nails
- To strengthen weak nails, apply Baby oil mixed with white iodine on the nails and to the base of the cuticles everyday.
 Oils for chapped lips
- For lined and chapped lips the best remedy is to massage them daily at bedtime with Baby oil.
 Oils for cracked heels
- For cracked heels, scrub them first with a stiff brush and later with a pumice stone. Wash with water, wipe dry and then massage with Castor oil.
- Melt paraffin wax and mix it with little mustard oil, apply on the affected area. Leave it overnight.
 What can I do?
- For great smelling laundry, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto a small piece of terry cloth and toss into the clothes dryer while drying. Add 5 drops essential oil to 1/4 cup fabric softener or water and place in the center cup of the wash.
- To enjoy a scented candle, place a drop or two of oil into the hot melted wax as the candle burns.
- To make a natural flea collar, saturate a short piece of cord or soft rope with Pennyroyal or Tea Tree oil, roll up in a handkerchief and tie loosely around the animal's neck.
- Smelly feet or shoes can be remedied by either dropping a few drops of Geranium essential oil directly into the shoes or by placing a cotton ball dabbed with a few drops of Lemon oil into the shoes.
- With a high concentration of fatty acids and large amount of Vitamin E, Argan oil is said to have restorative properties, and is being used to treat skin conditions ranging from acne, psoriasis and eczema, to dry skin, wrinkles and scars.
- It takes 8000 carefully handpicked flowers to produce just one gram of Jasmine Oil!
- The oils of Neroli, peppermint and Ylang Ylang are not just good for beauty therapies -- they are also an excellent remedy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Coconut oil is one of the best oils you can directly use on your skin and hair -- it softens and smooths the skin, has antioxidant properties that protect the skin from free severe damage and is an excellent massage oil too. It also helps the body absorb other nutrients like Vitamin E more effectively.
 See Also
- Shea Butter
- Natural Beauty Aids
- Tea Tree Oil
- Olive oil
- Amazing Argan Oil
- Decoding Personal Care Labels
- Essential Oils For Beauty
- Natural Oils for Skin Care
- Aromatherapy Oils and Their Uses
- Prickly pear seed oil, argan oil, rapeseed oil and other oils