Romans were aware of health benefits associated with certain spring waters. There is a legend that Hannibal, the famous Roman general rested his troops at Les Bouillens in France, the location of the Perrier drinking water spring. By the eighteenth century, the doctors were touting the beneficial effects of bathing, showering and drinking natural spring water. Incidentally, the spa movement that began in Europe had its origins in baths dating from Roman times. Cold spa waters were bottled for the first time in France in the 1850s.
 Why should I be aware of it?
Natural spring water takes hundreds of years to rise to the surface and only then that it is ready for human or animal consumption. It is rich in dissolved minerals, and in its purest form it is the finest quality drinking water available. However, spring water can also be contaminated and needs to be tested and treated before consumption.
 All about spring water
When water crosses the underground layers of rocks, it dissolves them and come to the surface as mineral water. It's properties are different from region to region and even from spring to spring depending upon the minerals it has absorbed during the journey. Coming from underground, spring water might be warm, even hot. The deeper it comes from, the hotter it is. But the temperature is not necessarily the characteristic of these spring waters - for some spring water might be cool also.
 Some useful information
Planet Organic and Bottled Water Poison in drinking water!
- Collection -- To maintain the quality, spring water is collected directly at the source spring. The bottling facilities have to be in the vicinity of the spring to mainain the quality of the water.
- Quality -- The quality of spring water is not constant. It can also vary on a day to day basis. The level of contamination might differ.
- Treatment and processing -- Spring water is usually not processed like drinking water because this would remove many of its beneficial minerals.
- Contamination -- Many things can affect the level of contaminatin in the speing water. An industry in the area releasing effluents into a nearby surface water body or a farm where persticides is used can make the water toxic. A natural spring can create a small pool of water that would support frogs, fish and other aquatic life. Such a pool could be easily contaminated and it can just as easily be protected against contamination by building a protective enclosure around it. Certain hygiene standards have to be maintained and the spring water has to be treated to meet the limits set on pollution in several countries.
- Collecting water at the source manually- As mentioned earlier, the water, however good quality it is, needs to be protected from contamination. Clear Creek spring in the US has always been a gathering place for students. People from off-campus also come regularly, plastic jugs in hand, to get spring water. 
 Spring water and health
The healing effect of spring water is due to the mineral composition of the springs and the geothermal energy of this underground water.
Classified upon the specific mineral composition, healing spring water can different different therapeutic properties.
- Trace minerals such as carbon dioxide, sulfur, calcium, magnesium, and lithium are absorbed by the body and provide healing effects to various body organs and systems.
- Sulphuric waters for instance, can have a therapeutic effect on skin diseases, including Psoriasis, dermatitis, and fungal infections.
- Some mineral waters are also used to help the healing of wounds and other skin injuries
 Spa Healing spring water
Bathing in mineral waters, and also drinking them in small quantities - under medical advice - can help the body heal itself from different diseases such as heart and blood-vessel deficiencies, diseases of the alimentary canal, metabolic and nutrition disorders, feminine diseases, and chronic diseases of the kidneys and urinary system.
 Health risk
It is not advisable to drink raw water right out of the ground, as there is a risk of getting sick, getting stomach and many other problems. It can also be fatal.
 Spring water and environment
It takes massive quantities of oil to produce plastic water bottles and to ship them in diesel trucks across the United States.
Interestingly, the refractive index of spring water is different from other waters in that it absorbs red light leaving only blue and some green light to be reflected to the observer’s eye. This gives it a shimmering bluish color.
- Lack of water is the number one cause of daytime fatigue.
- Mere 2% drop in your body’s water levels results in short term memory impairment, trouble with basic math and difficulty focusing (such as computer screen or printed page).
- Waters with high (inorganic) mineral or iron content can taste metallic.
- High bicarbonate water can taste salty.
- High hydrogen sulfide content can produce a taste like eggs.
 See also
- Discussion H20: Spring Water, Drinking Water, and Distilled Water
- Spring water's health benefits weighed against contaminants
- The science of spring water
- Healing Spring Water
- What an I do?
- Ideal drinking water
- ↑ Spring water's health benefits weighed against contaminants