The Healing Crisis is also called Cleansing Reaction and Detox Reaction. People undergoing various alternative therapies may, in the course of these treatments, experience responses that are uncomfortable. They may feel tired, feverish or actually have a fever, develop body aches, feel out of sorts and lethargic, have a runny nose, have loose bowels and feel sick. This set of responses as a result of some therapy is collectively called ‘the healing crisis’.
 Part of the detoxification process
The healing crisis is a temporary phenomenon and is part of the detoxification process of the body. The more toxic one's bodily systems are, the more severe the detoxification, and the more severe the healing crisis. The symptoms that one undergoes during the healing crisis may be identical to the disease for which the cure is being taken. Sometimes the symptoms of the healing crisis may be greater in intensity than the intensity of the disease. The patient may feel worse and conclude that the therapy is not working. However, these responses or reactions are indications that the treatment is working and the patient’s body is going through the process of cleansing itself of impurities, toxins and imbalances. Therefore, the person undergoing the healing crisis will be better off after the phase is over. This detoxification, which is what the healing crisis is, may take place immediately in response to the treatment or may happen after some days, and sometimes, though not often, even after some weeks.
The healing crisis is caused by the processes of the body that are trying to eliminate the waste products through all elimination channels and set the stage for regeneration. Any treatment or cleansing program can cause a healing crisis by three different routes.
- The treatment may cause a large number of bacteria or virus to die. This may release a large quantity of toxins that are stored within these microbes, and are called endotoxins. These toxins cause the symptoms that characterize the healing crisis. The more microbes that were present inside the patient’s body the larger the quantity of endotoxins, and stronger the cleansing reaction. After the body has managed to eliminate these toxins, the discomforting symptoms end and the body system emerges healthier and stronger..
- The second process by which a therapy might induce a healing crisis is that it can cause the organs of the body (particularly the liver, which is a storehouse of drug and poison residues) to release their stored poisons and toxins, and thus cause discomfiting symptoms.
- A treatment or therapy that causes a rapid breakdown of fat cells can also trigger a healing crisis. The fat cells store toxins and also microbes. When these toxins and/or microbes are released into the blood stream as fat cells breakdown, the body will have the reactions.
A healing crisis usually brings about conditions either linked with elimination of wastes (like diarrhea, skin eruptions, runny nose, etc.) or symptoms of the past diseases that the body has undergone. An entire lot of discomfiting symptoms are associated with a healing crisis. These range from feeling restless and fatigued to aches and nausea to skin eruptions and unusual dreams.
Patients might also experience temporary periods of confusion, and lack of appetite and might be very thirsty at times.
During a healing crisis it is important to flush the toxins; drinking lots of fluids – water, fresh juices and herbal teas – helps this process. If you are feeling tired, fatigued, or sleepy take rest. Your energies then can be geared to the healing process.
People often wonder if it is possible to have genuine problems which might be mistaken for ‘Healing Crisis’ while being treated by alternative medicine. It is important to keep in mind that genuine problems might be mistaken for healing crisis. When should they raise alarm bell? Normally, a healing crisis does not last more than three days. If it does, then it is a cause of concern and should be brought to the notice of the family doctor.
 Can I decrease the Level of Healing Crisis?
To decrease the level of healing crisis, some people take frequent hot showers, scrub the skin well, and dry themselves with a towel soon after. Everybody undergoing a healing crisis is advised to drink plenty of water to help the kidneys, skin, liver, colon and spleen process waste. Experts suggest that instead of tap water, patients should consume purified/filtered water.
- Body Cleansing/ Detox Plan & Natural Cures for Good Health
- Wholesome ways to heal oneself