Oils extracted from the seeds and nuts of plants like coconut, olive, Soya, rapeseed, and mustard have been used for cooking for centuries.
Types of Edible Oils
- Saturated fats are found in large amounts in fats and oils that are solid at room temperature, like butter, tallow and coconut oil
- Mono-unsaturated fatty acids are found in large amounts in olive oil, palm oil and lard
- Polyunsaturated atty acids -- These are the kind of fats found in large amounts in highly liquid vegetable oils made from corn, soybeans, safflower seeds and sunflower seeds.
The World's Healthiest Oils
Tips For Healthy Consumption of Oils
- Restrict the total amount of fats in the diet
- Specifically reduce the saturated fat intake by reducing consumption of red meats and dairy produce
- Reduce intake of hydrogenated fat found in cooking oils and margarines
- Increase the levels of polyunsaturated fats found in vegetable oils such as corn oil and sunflower oil as well as in most seeds and nuts
- Eat more fish, particularly oily fish like herring and mackerel rather than red meat.