Why should I be aware of this?
The consistently rising gasoline prices are making people consider alternative stay-at-home vacations or staycations. With the cost of living being pushed up and threat of global warming looming large, people are reconsidering far-flung journeys to exotic locales and are spending time in their homes and at local attractions. Even as they reduce their carbon footprint, staycations are fast emerging as a form of responsible travel many are opting for. It is also an economical way of taking sustainable holidays.
How does this affect me
Ways a staycation will save money
There are a number of ways that people save money during their staycations.
- Less gasoline
- No hotel expenses.
- No airfare or trainfare.
- Less eating out.
Incidentally, all these also improve physical and mental health. In fact, a staycation is a genuine way of relieving stress.
Ways a staycation is more relaxing
A staycation can be more relaxing than any other form of vacation - provided it is done with the right attitude.
- Save on the preparation time.
- Avoid disagreement that might occur while deciding on a destination.
- No packing -- a time-consuming and stressful event when it is being done for a family of four.
- There is no time wasted on traveling. The absence of waiting, delayed flights, mix-ups is also soothing.
- Increases vacation time as no time wasted on travel, reaching places, waiting etc.
- There are no chances of getting lost and a person need not be extra alert to ensure they are following the map correctly.
- The local hotpots can be enjoyed in a leisurely fashion -- one can spend the extra hour admiring something that catches their attention, than having to rush to next destination.
- More time for fun.
All about staycations
Contrary to the belief that there will not be anything to do, there are a lot of things that can be done during staycations. All that is needed is the right attitude.
- Go to a local festival.
- Visit a local garden.
- Take a nap in a hammock or lounge chair.
- Go for drinks with friends.
- Catch up on reading the newspaper at Starbucks.
- Attend a sporting event.
- Take the kids to the swimming pool.
- Go to a water park.
- Go to the movies.
- Visit an aquarium.
- Spend a day at the spa.
- Visit local museums.
- Go to the zoo.
- Have a long leisurely lunch on the patio.
- Spend a day at the lake.
- Have a picnic.
- Build a campfire for roasting hotdogs and marshmallows.
- Go to the best steak house in town.
- Have a day of fun at a local amusement park.
- Go camping.
- Take a day trip to a nearby town or city.
- Go to the park and play.
- Rent that movie you missed at the theater.
- Go fishing.
- Read a book or your favourite magazine.
- Exercise, if one had been waiting for the right time to start on their physical fitness regime.
- Join the local yoga class.
- Check out some virtual vacation hotspots.
What can I do?
Whether people opt to take a staycation rather than a vacation in order to save money, avoid holiday travel, or any other reason, here are a few staycation strategies that can help plan a good staycation.
- Give the staycation a start and end date -- otherwise, it runs the risk of feeling like any other day or a relaxing weekend at home.
- Just like one plans who all are a part of a vacation i.e. -- is the vacation just for the couple, is it a family vacation or does one want to share it with a set special friends, plan who all is included in the staycation and bar the rest out -- lock the front door, switch off the mobile, computer and put the phone off the hook or switch on the answering machine.
- Decide on a budget and see what all can be done locally on that budget. #Stock up family games -- playing games together is a great way of bonding.
- Plan your menus -- they should be hassle-free and should involve a few cooking activities that can be done together -- barbecue, grill etc.
- Staycation does not mean one does not dress up suitably. For a candlelight dinner, dress formally, for a barbecue, take out your casuals and dont forget your bathing suits for the day on the poolside.
- Watch you favourite movies or movies that you had wanted to watch but missed.
- Read your favourite book in your favourite chair.
- Top 10 staycation strategies
- Beat High Gas Prices this Summer with a Staycation